At last..Happy cow milk!
There are times when an ice cold glass of milk is more favoured than the glass of the finest champagne...(few I admit) and usually dependant on if it is time for a sundowner or bed; nonetheless when I drink a glass of creamy, delicious milk I feel comforted, at home, nourished.
Then the realities of factory farmed dairy products became known to me and a consciousness about the extreme conditions under which the cows are constantly required to lactate to produce milk for the nation. So I went in search of what I have termed “Happy cow milk” and thankfully I have found it.
Fair Cape Dairies has recently launched their Fair Cape ECO-FRESH™ milk range. The dairy has undergone a transitional phase and can now claim that not only are the cows well cared for but they have also considered their broader footprint on the environment. This means that these four pillars will be observed as standard practise on the farm:
• Decreasing pollution of natural river systems during milk production
• Farm with eco-friendly farming practices and minimising the use of chemical fertilisers
• Focus on animal welfare and cow comfort.
If we are what we eat then we that would certainly be true for what we drink; this nourishment adds to the composition of our being. So food from a good source is vital and milk from a happy cow is too.
Fair Cape Dairies took the initiative in this belief and launched the first ever Cow Comfort Index in South Africa in March 2011. The Index allows for the overall well-being of the cows to be carefully monitored and is based on 10 measurements of comfort. The index is published monthly on Fair Cape’s Facebook page. They are also running a great competition that ends at the end of the month.
* The Fair Cape range of dairy products consists of milk, yoghurts, desserts and a variety of fruit juices
* 2011 IDF Dairy Innovation Awards finalist for the ‘Best new dairy drink’ and ‘Best new functional dairy product
* Dairy Championships 2011 – Received the Qualité Award for Fair Cape Vanilla Custard 500g
* Dairy Championships 2011 – winner of 21 awards